Yes, an extra hour of sleep is nice, but there’s only one day a year that you’re gifted with an extra hour. Consider spending it in conscious bliss instead of snoozing away! I’ve come up with 25 blissful suggestions for your 25th hour this Sunday.
25 Ways to Bliss
1.Write in your journal. A real, hour-long journaling session will let you get it alllll out. You’ll feel better after. Promise.
2. Don’t have a journal? November is the perfect month to start a gratitude journal. Take a trip to your local bookstore (or HomeGoods!) and browse the journal/ stationary section. Pick out one that speaks to you, maybe throw in some colorful pens, and set yourself up to get in the habit of writing down three things for which you’re thankful every night.
3. Make breakfast in bed for a loved one. Add a fresh cut flower for an extra special touch.
4. Go for a walk outside, if the weather allows. Focus on soaking up the beauty of nature. Try to notice something new.
5. Weather not your friend? Hit up the gym or your local indoor walking track. Get those endorphins flowing.
6. Roll out your yoga mat, and just go with the flow. Do all your favorite poses. Stretch, bend, or maybe just hang out on your mat. Do what feels good.
7. Volunteer. Spend your extra hour helping others.
8. Soak in a bath. I know it sounds cliche, but a hot bath with detoxifying epsom salts and nourishing oil really is divine. Skip the wine, leave the book in the bedroom, turn out the lights, and just be with yourself and the soothing water.
9. Pay it forward. Go to your favorite coffee shop, order your favorite drink, and pay for person’s drink behind you in line as well. Then sit down and take your time with your drink instead of rushing out per usual.
10. DANCE PARTY. Push the coffee table into the corner, turn up the tunes, and dance around your living room like a wild person. Bonus points if you do it in your underwear!
11. Meditate. I know this can be intimidating if you don’t practice meditation regularly. But don’t fret or think about it. Just do. Sit on the ground on a comfortable pillow, limit outside distractions, close your eyes, and focus on your breath. Turn your attention inward, and allow yourself to just be.
12. Read a book. Are you one of those people who always says they want to read, but don’t have the time? Boom. Extra hour. Curl up and get your bookworm on.
13. Actually get it on. Make some love with the person you love.
14. Laugh. This could mean story time with the gals, or you can fake it. Get this: your brain doesn’t know the difference between real laughter and fake laughter. It releases the same amount of dopamine either way. Win.
15. Heat things up (outside the bedroom). Sweat it out in an infrared sauna. Not familiar? Read more here.
16. Get a massage. Heat isn’t the only way to treat your muscles. Pamper yourself with a professional massage, or trade with a loved one.
17. Detox. Technology detox, that is. For a whole hour (at least). Turn the phone off. Put it in a drawer. No TV. No Alexa. No iPad. No internet. No computer. No Apple watch. None of it.
18. Cuddle. Even if #13 isn’t for you on this particular day, the physical touch and emotional intimacy of cuddling will bliss you out.
19. Try something new. Get out there. Do it. Details here.
20. Love on your pets. Play with them and give them your complete, undivided attention for a whole hour. Bask in the looks of adoration they give you.
21. Go out for a really nice meal. Maybe splurge on a bottle of Champagne.
22. Do that thing you’ve been putting off. That chore that’s been nagging you. You’ll feel immensely better afterward.
23. Create. Something. Anything. Art, jewelry, crafts, poetry… whatever pulls you.
24. Call a friend. Preferably one you haven’t spoken to in a while. Have a real conversation, listen, talk, and share.
25. Your favorite thing. Sounds simple right? But how often do you actually take the time to do your favorite thing? Do it now. Make yourself happy!
Now go forth and make the most of your extra hour!